Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls (fwd)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Mar 7 17:43:46 UTC 2020

In article <CAL9jLaZeT6hcZ_hqxfm7yy=x9ukUxE-Ah_mrkbziWxqSpCUhzg at mail.gmail.com>,
Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 11:05 PM Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > So, if my telco can bill the callers for those premium calls, they
> > surely know who they are, or at least know where they are sending the
> > bill and getting payment from.
>
> You are mistaken, billing is very hard.  Telcos show this regularly.

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention, there are no 900 numbers any more,
the last carrier having exited the business a few years back.  As far as I can
tell there are no premium rate NXX-976 numbers either.  The advent of cell
phones made them unworkable, since there's no way to charge anything back to a
prepaid phone.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",