Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Mar 6 23:37:20 UTC 2020

On March 6, 2020 at 17:34 sean at donelan.com (Sean Donelan) wrote:

 > https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-pai-proposes-mandating-stirshaken-combat-robocalls
 >
 > Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai today proposed a major
 > step forward to further the FCC’s efforts to protect consumers against
 > spoofed robocalls: new rules requiring implementation of caller ID
 > authentication using socalled “STIR/SHAKEN” technological standards.
 > STIR/SHAKEN enables phone companies to verify the accuracy of caller ID
 > information that is transmitted with a call. Industry-wide
 > implementation would reduce the effectiveness of illegal spoofing, allow
 > law enforcement to identify bad actors more easily, and help phone
 > companies identify calls with illegally spoofed caller ID information
 > before those calls reach their subscribers.
 >
 > The FCC will vote on these new rules during its Open Meeting on March 31.

Why don't they just ask the phone companies who are billing these
robocallers who they are and we can arrest them.

[

And if your urge is to jump on your keyboard and deny the telcos know
exactly who they are please ask yourself if you really know or are you
just defending some world view based on nothing really other than
you're uncomfortable with such treachery.

Last time we went around this several weeks ago people who actually
truly have worked in the telco biz on exactly this sort of thing
responded yes, exactly, the telcos know just who they are and do
indeed bill them for those robocalls.

]

--
        -Barry Shein