Re: China’s Slow Transnational Network

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:28:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 3:23 PM Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG <
nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> I can corroborate that. I visited China in August 2019 and had terrible
> internet performance to sites outside of China. This was both with mobile
> and wifi at the homes of two friends, one in Heilongjiang and the other in
> Beijing. When I visited in February 2015, it was much better. Both times, I
> was using VNC on the company VPN. This does not use much bandwidth, but is
> quite latency sensitive.

GFW has some different settings that they use, similar to "ThreatCon"... if
civil unrest is happening, its working is changed. During party
conventions, they change it too.
So when a foreign visits China, that experience might be different from one
visiting during a different time period.

Also, some hotels that only accept international guests backhaul traffic
thru Hong Kong, providing an experience that looks much closer to US/Europe
broadband.

Rubens