netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 26 21:21:18 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:34 PM Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> I want to agree, but I can't.  Move up the stack.  I pay my bill with a
> CC which has my billing address.  I would even be willing to tell
> Netflix my home address directly.
>
> If they are willing to trust the CC information to take my money, then
> they should also be willing to trust the information for my service address.
>
> If I want to use my Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel, to watch content
> that matches my stated address which matches my CC billing address,
> which matches my IPv4 address (region), then why the REDACTED can't I do
> so over my HE IPv6 tunnel?

Hi Grant,

Philosophically, Netflix agrees with you. Unfortunately they have to
keep the studios happy or many of their content contracts evaporate.
And too many content owners care very much where you are right this
instant. Because they are unreasonable luddites who think that
geographic monopolies make good business sense.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin