netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jun 25 09:20:07 UTC 2020

On 25/Jun/20 11:08, Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote:

> Did anybody noticed that Netflix just became useless due to tons of
> proxy/unblocker false detection on CGNAT ranges?
> Even my home network is dual stack, i am absolutely sure there is no
> proxy/vpn/whatsoever (but ipv4 part is over CGNAT) - and i got
> "proxy/unblocker" message on my personal TV.
> And many other ISP sysadmins told me that recently this is a massive
> problem, and netflix support is frankly inadequate and does not want
> to solve the problem.
> I will not be surprised that they will begin to actively lose users
> due to such a shameful silly screwed up algorithm.
> Who in sober mind blocks all legit users due probably one or two
> suspicious users behind same IP range?

This isn't a new problem - for years, services that track what a single
IP address does can deny access if something looks amiss.

Of course, CG-NAT is a reality, but perhaps Netflix find it will be
easier to lose some customers than building infrastructure and support
to work out what is valid CG-NAT vs. mischief.

Probably would have been an easier case if Netflix didn't support IPv6,
but alas...

Mark.