60 ms cross-continent

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Jun 20 17:02:55 UTC 2020

The speed of light in fiber is only about 2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum, so that 15 ms is really about 22.5 ms. That brings the total to about 45 ms.

Some would come from how many miles of extra glass in that 2,742 miles in the form of slack loops.

Some would come from fiber routes not being straight lines. Allied Fiber's formerly planned route from the Westin Building to Equinix Ashburn was about 4,464 miles. That's about 38% longer than your 2,742 miles. Add that 38% to the previous 45 ms and you're at 62.1 ms.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com