why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?)

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Sat Jun 20 15:08:07 UTC 2020

> there is saku's point of distributing labels in IGP TLVs/LSAs.  i
> suspect he is correct, but good luck getting that anywhere in the
> internet vendor task force.

Perhaps I will surprise a few but this is not only already in RFC formats -
it is also shipping already across vendors for some time now.

SR-MPLS (as part of its spec) does exactly that. You do not need to use any
SR if you do not want, you still can encapsulate your packets with
transport label corresponding to your exit at any ingress and forget about
LDP for good.

But with that let's not forget that aggregation here is still not spec-ed
out well and to the best of my knowledge it is also not shipping yet. I
recently proposed an idea how to aggregate SRGBs .. one vendor is analyzing
it.

Best,
R.