[c-nsp] Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 19 11:38:59 UTC 2020

I think it's less about just the forwarding chips and more about an
entire solution that someone can go and buy without having to fiddle
with it.

You remember the saying, "Gone are the days when men were men and wrote
their own drivers"? Well, running a network is a full-time job, without
having to learn how to code for hardware and protocols.

There are many start-ups that are working off of commodity chips and
commodity face plates. Building software for those disparate hardware
systems, and then developing the software so that it can be used in
commercial deployments is non-trivial. That is the leverage Cisco,
Juniper, Nokia... even Huawei, have, and they won't let us forget it.

Then again, if one's vision is bold enough, they could play the long
game, start now, patiently build, and then come at us in 8 or so years.
Because the market, surely, can't continue at the rate we are currently
going. Everything else around us is dropping in price and revenue, and
yet traditional routing and switching equipment continues to stay the
same, if not increase. That's broken!`

Mark.