Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Fri Jun 19 07:20:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, at 20:40, Dave Bell wrote:

> I don't understand the point of SRv6. What equipment can support IPv6
> routing, but can't support MPLS label switching?

A whole ocean of "datacenter" hardware, from pretty much evey vendor. Because many of them automatically link MPLS to RSVP and IPv4 L3VPN (which may still be an interesting feature in datacenter), many try to stay as far away from it as possible. Othen than some scared C-level guys imposing this, I don't really see a good reason (lack of market demand, which is sometimes invoked, doesn't stand).

> where needed. LDP-SR interworking is pretty simple.

Mapping servers or something else ?