Quality of the internet

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 18 12:28:57 UTC 2020

> I think, on the whole, as current-production routers have migrated away
> from software-based forwarding in recent years into hardware planes, as

ACK. Good Internet is almost an emergent feature, not something we
really designed for. The main remaining problems are congested
peerings, which is a silly political problem which ends up hurting
customers and not helping anyone.
No one needs strict priority queues anymore, which was absolutely
needed at one point in time.

We are not in a market which cares about QoS, yet our BE is globally
<200us max jitter on a typical day and AF is <50us. Average jitter
being under 10us. So if I'd have HW timestamping NTP server and
client, I could synchronise clocks over IP transit cross continents to
ten microsecond accuracy. I think this is pretty crazy. And I'm sure
anyone who measures, measures similar numbers, this would have sounded
scifi 20 years ago.
As a context, Zoom recommends a jitter of 40ms or better, or 40000us.

--
  ++ytti