ROV Deployment (was LDPv6 Census Check)

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Tue Jun 16 11:51:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 18:09:24 +0000
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> thanks to a few vendor engineers who implemented as skunkworks,
> to jay, you, and other large ops who have deployed, and to job
> who has taken over waving the pom poms, i am rather optimistic.

I concur.  I asked our four major networks we (depaul.edu) had
connectivity from if they supported ROV in early 2019.  Cogent, HE.net,
Internet2, and SeverCentral all said they do not and none had plans to
deploy.  Now two of those are doing some ROV.  We've since replaced Zayo
for Cogent and I asked them about it in late 2019.  I know at least one
of the remaining three is seriously looking at supporting it soon.

Lots of reasons for the momentum, but two very noticeable reasons from
my view were when AT&T announced their deployment and when Google got
people worried about dropping routes.

John