Router Suggestions

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jun 16 09:42:18 UTC 2020

> On 6/15/20 8:00 AM, Colton Conor wrote:
> For around $11,000 right now, you can get a brand new Juniper MX204
> router. Alternatively, you can get a used MX240 / MX480 with quad
> power supplies, redundant quad core RE's, and 2 16X10G MIC cards for
> around $12,000.
>
> My question, is there anything else worth looking at in this price
> range / port configuration? Open to both new and used options. Looking
> to take full BGP routes.

We all like our edge boxes to be not susceptible to any old garbage that might come at them in form of BGP advertisements from the Internet (500 AS-PATH prepends, 1000s of communities, or straight out exotic attributes - just to name a few).  So I'd recommend a vendor that has some pedigree in providing facilities to withstand these wild whims of the Internet and ability to normalize/bleach the routing information before sending it to the rest of your AS via iBGP.

Examples:
RFC 7606 - Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages
Max as path limit
Max community limit
Max prefix per session limit
Attribute filtering