[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 15 15:07:12 UTC 2020

On 15/Jun/20 12:13, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Not to mention this whole thread is focused solely on next-hop identification -which is just the lowest of the layers of abstraction in the vertical stack.
> We haven’t talked about other "entities" that need identification like: VPNs, applications, policies (yes I'm looking at you VXLAN!) etc... - all of which are way better identified by a simple label rather than IPinIPinIP....

The problem is if you want to have MPLS services signaled over IPv6, you
first need an IPv6 control plane that will signal the labels that will
support those services, i.e., LDPv6 and RSVPv6.

Right now, all vendors that support LDPv6 do so only for pure MPLS-IPv6
forwarding. If you want l2vpnv6, l3vpnv6, EVPNv6, 4PE, 4VPE, TE-FRRv6,
e.t.c., you can't get that today. You'd have to signal those services
over LDPv4 or RSVPv4.

The guys did a great gap analysis back in 2015, when LDPv6 began to
appear in IOS XR and Junos, that showed the challenges toward an
IPv6-only MPLS network. I believe much of this is still relevant in 2020:

    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7439

I have to commend Vishwas, together with both Rajiv's, for kicking this
off way back in 2008. The road has been long and hard.

Mark.