[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 13 11:53:03 UTC 2020

On 13/Jun/20 08:00, Saku Ytti wrote:

> ECMP appears to be your main pain point, the rich features are not
> relevant, and you mentioned commodity hardware being able to hash on
> IPIP. I feel this may be a very special case where HW can do IPIP hash
> but not MPLSIP hash. Out of curiosity, what is this hardware? Jericho
> can do MPLSIP, I know JNPR's pipeline offering, Paradise, can.  Or
> perhaps it's not even that the underlaying hardware you have, cannot
> do, it's that the NOS you are being offered is so focused on your
> use-case, it doesn't do anything else reasonably, then of course that
> use-case is best by default.

One of the biggest challenges we found of leveraging commodity hardware
was locating a suitable OS that is not only fit-for-purpose in our
service provider environment, but that could also leverage the hardware
at its disposal to its fullest potential.

It's hard enough for one vendor to get both their own hardware and
software right most of the time. We posited it would be doubly hard for
an operator to marry hardware and software vendors that do not
necessarily co-ordinate with one another, if your goal is to run a
profit-oriented operational network.

Sure, the idea is great on paper, but there aren't that many shops that
can throw warm bodies at this problem like some of the more established
content and cloud folk.

If it was easy, I certainly wouldn't have started this thread in the
first place :-).

Mark.