[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jun 13 06:00:08 UTC 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 23:25, David Sinn <dsinn at dsinn.com> wrote:

> > Should we design a rational cost-efficient solution, we should choose
> > the lowest overhead and narrowest working keys.
>
> In the abstract, sure. But if you want a practical, deployable, production network, it's multi-dimensioned.

We have probably largely converged to the same place. Your vantage
point sees practical offerings where IPIP may make more sense to you
than MPLS, my vantage point definitely only implements the rich
features I need in MPLS tunnels (RSVP-TE, L2 pseudowires, FRR, L3 MPLS
VPN, all of which technically could be done of course with IPIPIP
tunnels) And the theory we agree that less is more.

ECMP appears to be your main pain point, the rich features are not
relevant, and you mentioned commodity hardware being able to hash on
IPIP. I feel this may be a very special case where HW can do IPIP hash
but not MPLSIP hash. Out of curiosity, what is this hardware? Jericho
can do MPLSIP, I know JNPR's pipeline offering, Paradise, can.  Or
perhaps it's not even that the underlaying hardware you have, cannot
do, it's that the NOS you are being offered is so focused on your
use-case, it doesn't do anything else reasonably, then of course that
use-case is best by default.

--
  ++ytti