[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Jun 11 14:25:37 UTC 2020

Good PR might ;)

> > But running MPLS over IPv6 in addition to already running it over IPv4,
> gaining new functionality or features in the process that could be ultimately
> monetized in providing better service to customers? -maybe even exposing
> the network to a new set of bugs?  -I don't know, that doesn’t sound like a
> good use of company resources especially in these uncertain times . Maybe
> I'm being overly harsh here maybe if you could please explain the drivers or
> expected net value out of this exercise please?
>
> Oh dear, you sound like our Finance department now; "drivers" and "net
> value" :-).

I thought I sound like a network architect :(

> If I take your line of reasoning, deploying SRv6 likely requires new hardware,
> which means $$. How much money will I charge customers for my shiny new
> SRv6?

No, my line of reasoning is if you have MPLS LSPs signalled over v4 I see no point having them signalled also over v6 in parallel.
Or if your full-mesh RSVP-TE is killing your RSVP-TE or you're in need of TE, then might want to look at SR MPLS.

> LDPv6 builds on LDPv4. Just like IPv6 builds on IPv4. At best, you can remove
> BGPv6 from your core,
I'm using VPNv6 & VPNv4 so not sure I follow how LDPv6 allows for removal of BGPv6 (is it BGPv6 over v4 NHs/transport?) but then again if it works over v4...

> which lowers your administration costs in that part of
> the network even further, costing you less in human time running it,
> resources you can otherwise re-deploy to other time- and money-saving
> activities. At worst, you get IPv4/IPv6 feature parity, and who doesn't like
> that :-).

I knew there's a bit of OCD hidden in this at some level :)

> And how much money did LDPv6 cost you to deploy? $0.

Apart from X months worth of functionality, performance, scalability and interworking testing -network wide code upgrades to address the bugs found during the testing process and then finally rollout across the core and possibly even migration from LDPv4 to LDPv6, involving dozens of people from Arch, Design, OPS, Project management, etc... with potential for things to break while making changes in live network.

adam