LDPv6 Census Check

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 10 21:39:29 UTC 2020

On 10/Jun/20 20:45, Saku Ytti wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that one or more of Mark, Gert or Tim are thinking
> SR/MPLS IPv6 when they say SRv6?

Oh, not at all, Saku.

> No one in their right minds thinks SRv6 is a good idea, terrible snake
> oil and waste of NRE. SR/MPLS IPv6 of course is terrific.
>
> LDPv6 and SRv6 seem like an odd couple, LDPv6 SR/MPLS IPv6 seem far
> more reasonable couple to choose from. I have my favorite.

I've been tracking SR since it began making "waves" in Paris at a
previous MPLS/SDN/IPv6 Congress meeting a a 2013, or thereabouts. Plenty
of promise about being a decent alternative to LDPv6 (which had been on
my mind since 2008).

In the end, as you rightly point out, it's been much ado about nothing.

To this day, I am yet to hear from a single operator about all the
chanting I hear from vendors - and not just SRv6, but SR in general. 7
years and counting.

Mark.