LDPv6 Census Check

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 10 17:19:18 UTC 2020

Hi all.

Just want to sample the room and find out if anyone here - especially
those running an LDP-based BGPv4-free core (or something close to it) -
would be interested in LDPv6, in order to achieve the same for BGPv6?

A discussion I've been having with Cisco on the matter is that they do
not "see any demand" for LDPv6, and thus, won't develop it (on IOS XE).
Meanwhile, it is actively developed, supported and maintained on IOS XR
since 5.3.0, with new features being added to it as currently as 7.1.1.

Needless to say, a bunch of other vendors have been supporting it for a
while now - Juniper, Nokia/ALU, Huawei, even HP.

IOS XR supporting LDPv6 notwithstanding, Cisco's argument is that "the
world" is heavily focused on deploying SRv6 (Segment Routing). While I
know of one or two questionable deployments, I'm not entirely sure much
of the world is clamouring to deploy SR, based on all the polls we've
done at various NOG meetings and within the general list-based operator
community

So I just wanted to hear from this operator community on whether you
would be interested in having LDPv6 support to go alongside your LDPv4
deployments, especially if you run native dual-stack backbones. Or if
your focus is totally on SRv6. Or if you don't care either way :-). Thanks.

Mark.