Outsourced NOC Solutions

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Jun 8 18:50:46 UTC 2020

On 6/8/20 2:24 PM, Rod Beck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My colleague and I may be running a new dark fiber network in the
> Northeast.
>
> We need an outsourced NOC to monitor for fiber cuts and serve as a
> contact point for customers.
>
> Am I wrong in believing that there should be a way of lighting a
> single pair in the cable and then monitoring it for signal disruption?
> It is not a perfect solution, but arguably better than learning that
> the cable has been damaged from an irate customer.

Well that's easy - any halfway decent networking gear will detect when a
link goes down, and reporting that to a monitoring system. The hard part
is locating the cable break, so you can fix it - not detecting it in the
first place.

And... parenthetically, if a single link failure impacts customers,
you're network is woefully badly designed.

> Best to take any replies off the message board.

Probably best not to - a major point of this kind of list is to learn
from each other.

Miles Fidelman

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roderick.
>

> Roderick Beck
>
> VP of Business Development
>
> United Cable Company
>
> www.unitedcablecompany.com <http://www.unitedcablecompany.com>
>
> New York City & Budapest
>
> rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
>
> Budapest: 36-70-605-5144
>
> NJ: 908-452-8183
>

> 1467221477350_image005.png

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown