Partial vs Full tables

Yang Yu yang.yu.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 01:07:52 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:39 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> Speak of which, did anyone ever implement FIB compression? I seem to
> remember the calculations looked really favorable for the leaf node
> use case (like James') where the router sits at the edge with a small
> number of more or less equivalent upstream transits. The FIB is the
> expensive memory. The RIB sits in the cheap part of the hardware.

fib optimize => using LPM table for LEM
https://www.arista.com/en/um-eos/eos-section-28-11-ipv4-commands#ww1173031

FIB compression => install only 1 entry into FIB for compressable
routes with shared nexthop
https://eos.arista.com/eos-4-21-3f/fib-compression/

The feature itself works as intended. version/platform/config
compatibility needs some considerations.