RFC6550 (RPL) and RFC6775 (IPv6 Neighbor Discovery for 6LoWPANs)

Templin (US), Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Mon Jun 1 16:44:50 UTC 2020

NBMA is not necessarily a one-size-fits-all category, and it looks like multiple proposals
are considering models for NBMA links. AERO and OMNI define an NBMA link model
for virtual links and do define the operation of IPv6 ND over those links in ways that
go beyond RFC5942. This is encouraged in RFC4861 where it says:

   “Unless specified otherwise (in a document that covers operating IP
   over a particular link type) this document applies to all link types.
   However, because ND uses link-layer multicast for some of its
   services, it is possible that on some link types (e.g., Non-Broadcast
   Multi-Access (NBMA) links), alternative protocols or mechanisms to
   implement those services will be specified (in the appropriate
   document covering the operation of IP over a particular link type).”

Fred