AS hijacking (Philosophy, rants, GeoMind)

Michael Davis davis at udel.edu
Mon Jun 1 10:48:05 UTC 2020

Thanks Bill,
     As our canned Email stated, AS2 (and many low digit AS') get
hijacked and
often go on to hijack someone's prefix.  AS2 (proper) is rarely changed and
the chances of an actual prefix hijack from it is extremely low.

So as I've asked our peers, I'll ask here: What is expected of us to be good
"Net Citizens" with these hijacks?

We don't have a FTE to assign to contact IX,ISP,etc. sites, often not in
this country,
to track down these weekly hijacks.  The canned Email has resulted in
some feedback
where the hijack is found to be a prepending syntax error, or a lab
config slipping
through to production, but still a majority are supposed malicious and
we never
hear back.

Seeing AS paths of the prefix hijacks would be helpful, but we're not
aware of where
we can get to them and offer the Email response asking the victim to
inquire locally.

thanks

--
  Mike Davis
  IT - University of Delaware - 302.831.8756
  Newark, DE 19716	Email davis at udel.edu