BGP route hijack by AS10990

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Jul 31 13:59:51 UTC 2020

On 30/Jul/20 19:44, Tom Beecher wrote:
> It's not like there are scorecards, but there's a lot of fault to go
> around.
>
> However, again, BGP "Optimizers" are bad. The conditions by which the
> inadvertent leak occur need to be fixed , no question. But in
> scenarios like this, as-path length generally limits impact to "Oh
> crap, I'll fix that, sorry!." Once you start squirting out more
> specifics, you get to own some of the egg on the face.

For about a year or so, I've been saying that the next generation of
network engineers are being trained for a GUI-based point & click world,
as opposed to understanding what protocols and CLI do.

There is no shortage of annual workshops that teach BGP Multi-Homing.

Despite the horror BGP optimizers have displayed in recent years, they
seem to be flying off the shelves, still. Is this a clear example of the
next generation of network engineers that we are breeding?

Mark.