RFC 5549 - IPv4 Routes with IPv6 next-hop - Does it really exists?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jul 29 14:57:47 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 17:54, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:

> I'm curious to know if this is after-the-fact, as I can't think of a way
> that BGP would find hostnames to setup sessions with, outside of some
> kind of upper layer name resolution capability.
>
> The draft isn't clear on how this happens, if it is, indeed,
> before-the-fact.

I'm not sure I understand what the option space is. This is like ISIS
TLV137, protocol will populate some trash there and you'll politely
access. It won't allow you to refer to the peer with any name prior to
having the session up. Much like you won't see ISIS neighbours name
when session is establishing, until it has actually loaded and
processed the TLV137.

--
  ++ytti