RFC 5549 - IPv4 Routes with IPv6 next-hop - Does it really exists?

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Wed Jul 29 06:59:14 UTC 2020

Hello,

This is implemented in FRR and will also be available in BIRD 2.0.8.
Linux accepts IPv6 next-hop for IPv4 natively since 5.3 (no tunnels).
This is the solution Cumulus is advocating to its users, so I suppose
they have some real users behind that. Juniper also supports RFC 5549
but, from the documentation, the forwarding part is done using
lightweight tunnels.

Maybe David Ahern is reading this list and could comment more. I don't
use this solution myself as the vendor support is still quite limited
but if I were to start a network from scratch, I would definitively go
for it.
--
Let the machine do the dirty work.