MAP-T in production

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:51:49 UTC 2020

While I believe I in time will get at least 90% of residential users on
IPv6, the track record for commercial customers is close to 0%. Also the
number of websites and other Internet services with ipv6 is abysmal. We are
somewhat saved by the American internet gigants which means that by traffic
volume we are already halfway there.

My take is that the so called transition is going to last forever or so
long that it could as well be. By volume and by end users we might get to
90% but no more. We need to plan for that and accept that is how it will
be.

IPv6 is already saving money by reducing the need for NAT444 or NAT64. That
50% IPv6 traffic just doubled the number of users per NAT server. If we can
get that to 90% we will have 10 times the users per server. Huge thanks to
Netflix, Google, Apple, Akamai, Facebook etc for that.

With that said I would love to one day deploy MAP or LW4o6 simply to get
rid of that NAT server. We need IPv4 as a service and stateless in the
network. If we need to keep ipv4 around for a long time, we can as well
make it easy and cheap.

Regards

Baldur