MAP-T in production

Brian Johnson brian.johnson at netgeek.us
Fri Jul 24 17:52:27 UTC 2020

I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback and want to restate some of my thoughts for further discussion:

1. It seems like the MAP-T is still in an initial phase of development/production. I’ve seen a few other people mentioning it, but it is early in deployment today.

2. When working with smaller and regional eye-ball networks throughout the US you need to be aware of a couple things. Think no engineering team, just an implementation crew and local support people (Small telco mentality). They need commercially available and widely supported solutions.

Based on the feedback I’ve seen so far, I would think that positioning a MAP-T solution in these scenarios might be more of a hassle and turn into a support nightmare. I’m leaning toward DS-lite and NAT444 right now as these are more proven and have greater deployed bases.

Thoughts…

- Brian