questions asked during network engineer interview

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Jul 22 07:41:31 UTC 2020

On 22/Jul/20 01:41, William Herrin wrote:

> I suppose it depends what you're trying to accomplish. If you're a
> hosting provider and you want to provide a capability both similar to
> AWS VPCs and strong enough to not be a joke, you won't get there on
> the tools Linux or VMWare provide. You'll have to invest in SDN tech.
> If you're hooking up residential subscribers to the Internet... it's
> less obvious how SDN would be of use to you.

I'll try this again...

There will be tooling required to operate your network. Cloud,
connectivity, content, e.t.c.

The tooling will help the operator accomplish the task required as
efficiently as possible, as long as they keep investing in and improving it.

I don't want to box that tooling into "SDN tech". It is tooling. It may
or may not smell like "SDN". All I care about is that it helps me
achieve my objectives. If it is internal to my operation and not
standardized with a ton of other operators, that's fine too.

Mark.