questions asked during network engineer interview

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jul 21 16:50:30 UTC 2020

> William Herrin
> Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:02 PM
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 5:09 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com>
> wrote:
> > We'll probably spend 95% of the time just talking about who they are,
> > and 5% on the role. That has worked well for me in the past decade,
> > and none of those hires had any "certificates" to impress me with,
> > even though those that didn't make it, did.
>
> I find there's a strong INVERSE correlation between the quantity of
> certificates on an applicant's resume and their ability to do the job.

One can't be an expert in many areas, (like CCIE-everything... folks)
Same as Usain Bolt can't swim like Michael Phelps...

> I still have to laugh about the guy who let me know via his resume that he
> was certified in setting up Kentrox CSU/DSUs.

Nice, did he also knew how to put a loop on a T1/T3 DACS (DCX) or how to do SNA to mainframe and then DLSW? :) very useful skills these days indeed.
<sigh>technology used to be much simpler.

adam