questions asked during network engineer interview

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Tue Jul 21 05:12:25 UTC 2020

Mark,

There are a slew of fine SDN products out there, from VMware NSX-T in big enterprise to Ubiquiti UniFiOS in SMBs, and lots of other products aimed at various market niches. What failed about the original SDN academic vision, more or less, was standardized, vendor-agnostic SDN based on protocols such as OpenFlow. Sure, a standardized platform would be nice, but you can’t blame vendors for wanting to differentiate their products to gain marketshare. OpenFlow never really delivered in a way that any vendors could build a competitive product around. HP tried, but, well, here we are.

The goal SDN was created for was centralized management with good automation built in. Nobody ever promised single-pane management of multiple vendors’ network elements. Nobody promised that because there is no way to make a living selling that.

THAT’S what SDN means to you. :)

 -mel