questions asked during network engineer interview

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Jul 21 04:55:42 UTC 2020

On 20/Jul/20 23:59, Brandon Martin wrote:

> Pass given to those who cram them into a "certificates" or "specifics"
> line or similar in order to get around HR filters, limit them to major
> certs (or ones your HR dept. specifically demanded), and don't really
> mention them otherwise.  Bear in mind as well that, even if your
> hiring process doesn't demand them, others' will, and many people have
> a standard-ish resume with application-specific cover letter.

When SDN was all the rage in the middle of the past decade, our HR
department wanted to hire someone in this field and asked me what type
of qualifications and certifications they should be looking for. Well, I
told them to look for someone who had enough will and time to figure out
what it means to us, and the patience to experiment, fail and experiment
again, without losing any steam or confidence, and take a pass on any
SDN certifications recommended by our "recruiting consultants".

We ended up hiring a regular (but very good) network engineer who had
recently taken up an interest in understanding and writing software to
perform repetitive tasks. It was just a shame they chose not join at the
last minute, but we weren't the worse off for it either.

At the time, everyone and their arm rest were offering some kind of
SDN-workshop-certification thingy.

Suffice it to say, to this day, we still don't know what SDN means to
us, hehe.

Mark.