questions asked during network engineer interview

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Mon Jul 20 12:08:06 UTC 2020

On 14/Jul/20 22:36, William Herrin wrote:

> You know what job you're interviewing for. What you choose to talk
> about tells me volumes about how you think.

I'm for this, too.

I just like to talk to people, about themselves, and figure out who they
are as a person.

Once in a while, I'll throw in a question about the role they are
interviewing for, let them talk about it, and then go back to just
talking to them, about themselves, as a person.

It's a different world nowadays to what it was 20 years ago. There is so
much information out there to make anyone an expert, so I'm not keen on
turning interviews into finals exam rooms. A person's essential
character is far more appealing to me, since their ability to embrace
and adapt to changes in culture is why they are most likely to be a good
fit.

We'll probably spend 95% of the time just talking about who they are,
and 5% on the role. That has worked well for me in the past decade, and
none of those hires had any "certificates" to impress me with, even
though those that didn't make it, did.

Mark.