questions asked during network engineer interview

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:35:24 UTC 2020

I was once asked at a FANG interview how I would affect incoming traffic using BGP. I listed the usual offenders like AS path and med. He kept asking how else, to which after pondering I said that I cant think of other ways right now. He was insisting I find one, so I theorized on using more specific prefix even though that’s technically not a BGP method. I think that was when he decided I failed, and I decided that he wanted me to name a creative method he himself used at his megascaler. Considering I never had to even think about solving problems at their scale I think that was just dumb to insist I come up with it.
I’ll never know what that magical method is since he didn’t actually give me the answer I didn’t know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my mind I’d rather a person admit to not knowing than spit bull at you with confidence. Admitting not knowing means you’ll know to look it up or ask someone. Bullsh*tting means you’ll probably implement some insane thing and not consult anyone about it.

The interview in general seemed to be more about technical nerd knobs of random technologies and less about how I think about problems.

My take is that nerd knobs can be taught and/or looked up. How a person thinks and dissects the problems at hand can hardly be changed easily.

The question about “what happens when you enter google.com into your browser” is probably my favorite and I ask it to candidates every time. That and “how can you confirm a remote system is listening on a given TCP port”. Idk what it is that confuses people, but close to zero people answered “telnet or netcat to that port” and most of them went down the “I ssh into the system” or “I look in the firewall” or “I netstat”.

Another one is “what is the summary prefix for 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.1.0/24”. So.many.minds.blown! Some ask for pen and paper. Others just start doing binary conversions out loud....

Turns out there are as many bad candidates as there are interviewers. I consider myself a bad interviewer so I try to shy away from interviewing candidates if I can. And based on this email chains so far it seems like there is not an agreed upon good interview method.

Sent from mobile