questions asked during network engineer interview

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jul 14 20:23:02 UTC 2020

--- mpetach at netflight.com wrote:
From: Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com>
On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 11:00 Ahmed elBorno <amaged at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had less than two years experience.
>
> The interviewer asked me:
> [...]
> 2) If we had a 1GB file that we need to transfer between America and
> Europe, how much time do we need, knowing that we start with a TCP size of
> X?

I *love* questions like that, because I can immediately respond back with
"well, that depends; did your sysadmin configure rfc1323 extension support
in your TCP stack?  Is SACK enabled?  What about window scaling?  Does your
OS do dynamic buffer tuning for TCP, or are the values locked in at start
time?"

I'm not so sure someone with only 2 years experience would know that.

scott