questions asked during network engineer interview

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Jul 14 17:55:21 UTC 2020

On 7/14/20 10:46 AM, Shawn L via NANOG wrote:

> I completely agree.  One of the people I used to do interviews with
> would look through the resume, etc. and then say something like "this
> all looks good. Tell me about something you've done".  And we'd move
> on to talk about projects and how they tackled it, etc.
>
> We didn't give tests, just questions like  "if we asked you to do
> this, on something you haven't seen or used before, how would you go
> about it".   Or pretend I'm the customer.  I want to do this.  How
> would you go about it?  it wasn't about getting a 'correct' answer, it
> was about how they went about solving the problem.

I do that too. I figure that if they can't teach me about something
they've done in real life, they're probably overstating their
involvement. People should *like* talking about how they went about
solving problems and be proud of what they achieved. But I try as much
as possible to put candidates at ease because I know that not everybody
reacts to interviews the same, which is sadly not the case far too often.

Mike