60ms cross continent

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 08:50:41 UTC 2020

With common Ku band TVRO (receive only) dishes and decoders, one of the
constraints for moving to higher bitrates is the physical sizes of the
customer dish and economics.

For a good example go to a very densely populated developing nation
environment. Saddar, central Rawalpindi, Pakistan would be one such place.
Get up on a tall roof and look at the numerous low cost Ku dish and LNB
setups on other roofs.

Achievable bps/Hz and modulation type, code rates, and type of FEC are very
limited when the antenna has to be so small. Usually something like qpsk
3/4. In order to have something like a 4k stream and not require end users
to replace their 75-100cm size dishes with something much bigger, you'd
need to use a lot more MHz on the geostationary satellite's transponder.
Greatly increasing monthly transponder fees for the tv broadcaster. Any
sort of modulation like 8PSK or a 16QAM is probably not achievable as long
as the end user consumer antennas remain so small.

For people who are accustomed to a terrestrial microwave link budget and
path loss, Geostationary will seem weird. For SCPC two way data links you
can spend a lot of money and construct 3.8-4.5m size earth stations,
definitely a construction project with a capital P, but the laws of physics
will dictate your link sees only 4 bps/Hz or less. Even with the very best
modems on the market now.

Ultimately advances in codecs may help this somewhat. 4k AV1 at fairly low
bitrates is remarkably not terrible. H.266 was just standardized. It'll
take a long time for full hardware decode to show up in ultra low cost
satellite TV boxes.