60ms cross continent

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Fri Jul 10 07:17:33 UTC 2020

On 9/Jul/20 22:49, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> We should also use IP even over radio waves. IP over MPEG2-TS
> over DVB (or terrestrial broadcast network) is doable though
> IP directly over DVB should be better.

Well, when we moved over from traditional satellites to inclined orbit
satellites back in 2000 across most of Africa, IP was carried directly
over DVB for downlink traffic. The uplink traffic still required regular
SCPC modems.

We had to use a DVB decoder reconfigured for IP carriage (rather than
video) to decode the DVB stream (via a unique key, since DVB is a
Multicast-type medium) and pass the IP packets over to your router.

So yes, this technology does exist, and is way cheaper than SCPC in the
downlink direction.

> Unicast video over satellite link costs a lot.

Which is my point, and makes me wonder whether we shall ever see 1080p
or greater via satellite, en masse.

DVB, however, is more Multicast-y. So technically, you aren't unicasting
video over DVB, which is what a number of satellite TV providers are
using to deliver their services.

Mark.