60ms cross continent

Denys Fedoryshchenko nuclearcat at nuclearcat.com
Thu Jul 9 18:32:04 UTC 2020

Proprietary startups for M2M in most of cases bad idea, especially if
they require
custom hardware (those operate in VHF band).
And with such history: <<Originally in March of 2018, Swarm had launched
satellites without FCC approval.
In December of 2018, Swarm agreed to pay the FCC a total of $900k over
five years for the unauthorized launch.
The company began bouncing back, as it closed a Series A financing round
with $25 million in January.>>
https://www.satellitetoday.com/government-military/2019/10/18/swarm-receives-fcc-approval-to-launch-150-satellites/

Here is example, Sigfox in UK seems powered by startup, and startup went
defunct:
https://twitter.com/cybergibbons/status/1280892048787243008

And my own experience, if you embed in your design proprietary modem, it
will be very pricey to replace it,
if startup fail to reach profit margin.
I rather will trust technologies based on open standards, like FossaSat
or Lacuna,
often they are built with terrestrial fallback, and in fact you can
build your own gateways, if required.
And more than that, some modules, like Murata, support both Sigfox +
LoRaWAN, and technically possible
to support LoRa satellites as well at same time, without significant
hardware mods.