60ms cross continent

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jul 9 16:44:36 UTC 2020

On 9/Jul/20 17:51, Joel M Snyder wrote:

> Oh man I wish that were wholly true... Satellite/VSAT has another very
> very important attribute: it's not subject to the whims of the local
> government or regulators.  So when there's an election or some unrest or
> coup or the prime minister has very bad flatulence, and some person says
> "turn off the Internet," your non-terrestrial connection is there so
> that you can continue to do business.

Very true, except there are still a few countries that require a single
operator to have all "gateway" access out of the country, even via
satellite. So yes, install, for sure. But if someone does the rounds and
catches an "unlicensed" installation, that could be interesting.

> (Plus, there are also still many places outside of capital cities in the
> world where the Internet is truly awful and if you want bits, you have
> to bring your own)

I did mention that use-case, already, in a previous post.

Simple applications such as ATM's in remote locations is still quite
typical.

Mark.