60ms cross continent

Paul Nash paul at nashnetworks.ca
Wed Jul 8 13:21:14 UTC 2020

When we started TICSA (Internet Africa/Verizon/whatever), we went with a 9600 bps satellite link to New Jersey specifically because the SAT-2 fibre had just been installed and traffic was being moved off satellite.  The satellite folk were getting *very* nervous, and gave us a heavily discounted service provided we had a 5-year contract that specified that they service *had* to run over satellite.  Job insurance.

As our requirements grew, we added fibre connections.  Eventually the telco canceled the satellite connection as they were starting to focus on VSAT.

	paul