AW: L2VPN/L2transport, Cumulus Linux & hardware suggestion

Jürgen Jaritsch juergen at jaritsch.at
Tue Jul 7 22:05:03 UTC 2020

Dear Adam,

yeah, forget about LACP - the bigger problem is all the LLDP and STP stuff,
that gets interpreted at the UNI port. LACP is a bad example - but there are
many other frames and protocols, which must work. Could be that a customer
wants to run MPLS+LDP on his VLL (for whatever reason ...).

> For your requirements, although I hesitate to recommend them for
enterprise/carrier use, Miktotik's EoIP protocol does a much better job of
this than most "carrier-grade" implementations.

Not at wirespeed ... and not without causing other issues (single thread
load, etc).

> Juniper has the EX4650 that matches your h/w specs,...  Not 100% sure the
Juniper EX does 25G, now that I think of it.

Yeah, EX4650 it does: 48x 1/10/25G + 6x 100G + MPLS
It also supports Ethernet over MPLS (at least they say here:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/mpls-over
view.html#id-mpls-feature-support-on-qfx-series-and-ex4600-switches) but at
some of their sites they mention, that MPLS-based CCC are not support:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/mpls-over
view.html#jd0e2531

" ... MPLS-based circuit cross-connects (CCC) are not supported—only
circuit-based pseudowires are supported. ..."

There is also the QFX5120-48Y - 48x 1/10/25G + 8x 100G + MPLS
In the past QFX wasn't the best idea for MPLS topics ... has this changed?

> and Arista has, oh, at least half a dozen boxes of various spec that
comply, too.

Yeah, I already know them (do have some older 7050S). The call it "VXLAN P2P
Pseudowire", but there is absolutely nothing in there CLI documentation :(.
Looks like the feature is only support on the 7280 platform.

Possible options:
7280SR2-48YC6

Do you have any experience with what they call "VXLAN P2P Pseudowire"? I
can't even find a config example on the net :(

thanks & best regards
Jürgen