rfc4271 ORIGIN/path of default route, should the value be 0 or 2?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jul 7 13:47:53 UTC 2020

Hey,

> I don’t believe that it has a functionality impact but I would like to know which one you think follows the RFC more closely.

Debatable, but:
Internal is more accurate if you redistribute default from routing
protocol, such as static.
Unknown is more accurate if you just generate it in BGP, without having it.

Functional difference is best-path selection algorithm. Origin can be
used to bypass hot-potato policies of peers, by forcing them to carry
packets longer inside their network. If your policy is hot-potato,
then you should reset Origin on received external routes.

--
  ++ytti