60ms cross continent

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jul 7 09:06:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 06:35, Harry McGregor <hmcgregor at biggeeks.org> wrote:

> Once the laser based inter-sat links are running (Starlink 2.0?), it should be lower latency vs Fiber.

I understood it's not clear if this will ever happen. In local
constellation it might, but supposedly technology does not currently
actually exist to do it between constellations. I don't understand the
topic at all, but I got impression that the precision of timing and
accuracy of aiming needed is actually a very hard problem.

But agreed, should sat2sat communication become possible, there are
many legs where starlink latency will improve upon terrestrial.

--
  ++ytti