60ms cross continent

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Jul 7 08:45:10 UTC 2020

On 7/Jul/20 10:07, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> The most noteworthy thing I'm seeing in C band these days, is many
> customers formerly 100% reliant upon it shifting their traffic to
> newly built submarine fiber routes.

Before most of Africa had submarine fibre, a lot of our traffic was
carried on C-Band.

In the decade preceding the arrival of submarine fibre, we reduced costs
by moving to Inclined Orbit satellites, which were mainly operated on
Ku-Band. So outages due to rain were a normal and accepted part of doing
business. ISP's that maintained C-Band satellites survived rain fade,
but had much higher operating costs.

Nowadays, satellite services are generally used in remote locations, and
for specific applications. Submarine fibre is the norm.

Mark.