Backup over 4G/LTE

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Thu Jan 30 19:41:24 UTC 2020

In the past couple of years, we deployed CradlePoint IBR650's and
IBR600's (with and without wifi respectively).  It's a configurable
mini-router that can also accept wired access.  There is an on-board SIM
slot.  Downside is that the unit is a bit expensive as a CPE.

Lately we have been deploying Proxicast PocketPort units.  These have an
RJ45 jack at one end, USB port on the other, with no built-in cell
antenna.  So you'll need a USB 4G/LTE dongle in addition.  Those
PocketPorts are a bit more limited in terms of config, but they work for
our use case and are less expensive overall than CradlePoint.

If you want to stick with a router from big C, I've also worked with the
newer C1111-8PLTEEA which has an onboard SIM slot.  We tested them but
didn't put them in production due to cost.

HTH!

-Brian