abrupt speed changes and TCP

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Jan 30 18:58:19 UTC 2020

So it occurs to me in the rollout of 5G just walking down the street you
might shift back and forth between high speed 5G bands and 4G because of
uneven deployment and all sorts of other reasons. It sounds like this
could vary block by block practically.

I assume TCP just views this as congestion? But with all of the
congestion avoidance algorithms and the rapidly fluctuating bandwidth,
wouldn't that result in the sender essentially adapting to the least
common denominator (eg 4G)? The same goes with latency, I suppose for
real time apps.

Mike