Hawaii exchange and connection to mainland pops

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Jan 29 22:31:05 UTC 2020

--- a.matamalas at gmail.com wrote:
From: Antoni Matamalas <a.matamalas at gmail.com>

I'm trying to figure out how is the connectivity in the Hawaiian Islands
for a project I have. I'm based in Europe and my knowledge of the details
of the communications in the islands is still limited. The project is based
in the O'ahu island but I'm trying to understand how things are working in
the whole Hawaiian islands (pure professional curiosity). I'm focusing on
two aspects:

* Content delivery and connection to content providers (Google, Apple,
Netflix,...)
* Availability of providers that can supply wavelength between Hawaiian
Islands and the continent (LA, Seattle or other locations)

I'm assuming you're talking Commercial only?  DoD is a different
animal as is UH.

I work for the ILEC and can fill you in on that to a certain
degree. We have the normal Google/Netflix/Akamai/etc caches.

The population in the state of Hawaii is small.
https://census.hawaii.gov/whats-new-releases/2019-state-population-estimates
On July 1, 2019, the resident population for the State of Hawaii
was 1,415,872.

And of those about 1 million live on one island: Oahu.  There're
5 other islands.

We have a lot of trans-pacific fiber landing here, but it mostly
just transits the island.  Not much gets peeled off to service
the state due to its size.  The ILEC owns part of SEA-US:
https://www.submarinenetworks.com/systems/trans-pacific/sea-us
and we get service on Hawaiki for South Pacific connectivity.
https://www.submarinenetworks.com/en/systems/australia-usa/hawaiki-cable

Most of the inter-island fiber is owned by the ILEC, which was
bought by Cincinatti Bell, which will be bought by either
Brookfield Infrastructure or another company whose name isn't
public yet. (Anyone been bought by BI?  email me, please)

As mentioned in another email HIX is the internet exchange
managed by UH and DR Fortress connects to that.  We do as
well:

http://www.hawaii.edu/hix/Hawaii_Internet_Exchange/Home.html

https://www.drfortress.com/about/company-overview/

https://www.drfortress.com/services/internet-exchange/overview/