Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Ben Cannon ben at 6by7.net
Wed Jan 29 01:56:00 UTC 2020

Right??  That’s in a customer’s office building too… I’ve got the same connection on my workstation of course.

I actually have another test that I don’t normally share.  It’s NOT fake.  I found out that the speedtest algorithm rounds to the nearest whole millisecond.  And that it will round DOWN below 400ns…

A friend, being kind of sassy, said recently “Hey Ben, so like when you got the 10g, did you just like, download all of Netflix?”  And I had to pause and give a semi serious reply, where I said “Actually no… Because we’ve got a Netflix Openconnect in SF2 that has like 80g into the fabric, and we’ve got 100g into there, and even over the 10g to my desktop, that’s still faster than my SSD.  So no, I’m not going to be downloading all of Netflix.  The internet is my LAN, I already have…"

(It’s honestly all so cool that I wake up every day without an alarm clock, and *run* downstairs to do what I do.   Best job in the world.)

-Ben Cannon
CEO 6x7 Networks & 6x7 Telecom, LLC
ben at 6by7.net <mailto:ben at 6by7.net>