Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Mon Jan 27 19:58:26 UTC 2020

On January 27, 2020 at 22:57 marka at isc.org (Mark Andrews) wrote:
 > The hardware support was 2B+D but you could definitely just use a single B.   56k vs 64k depended on where you where is the world and which style of ISDN the telco offered.

FWIW bulk dial-up lines were often brought in as PRIs which were 24
ISDN 2B+D lines on basically a T1 (1.544mbps) and then you could break
those out to serial lines.

The sort of cool thing was that you could get caller information on
those even if the caller thought they blocked it with *69 or whatever
it was and log it. I forget the acronym...no no, that's the usual
caller-id this was...ummmm, DNI? Something like that.

I won a court case with that data.

--
        -Barry Shein