Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Jan 27 19:15:49 UTC 2020

On 1/27/20 2:00 PM, Jamie Bowden via NANOG wrote:
> I don't know about the other ILECs out there, but I don't know if Verizon will even provision a T1 anymore.  I know you can still get a PRI (that's how our phone systems interface with the PSTN), but if we needed a CT1 instead, I don't know that they'd be able (willing) to deliver it.  I know you can't get a BRI.  We moved offices a few years ago and we basically lost the ability to use our STEs for anything but voice as we couldn't get BRIs delivered to the new space.

Last I checked (a couple years ago, I guess), you could absolutely still order a clear-channel point-to-point T1 in AT&T territory in the Indianapolis LATA including surrounding exchanges.  I don't know if AT&T themselves would put channelized/CAS voice on it, but I'm sure you could find someone they can terminate it to who would.  I assume this is the same in many places.  Now, presumably they'll deliver it on their existing TDM optical plant if you're in an on-net facility or SHDSL if you're not as has been the case for a couple decades at least, but it was still something you could order.

I got a quote on a channelized/split T1 with 4 voice channels and the remainder used for PPP IP service from Centurylink about a year back, too, for out-of-band and alarm use in a (non-Centurylink but about 3 blocks away from theirs) CO facility within part of their legacy Sprint/Embarq footprint.  They did give me a quote, so I assume they would have delivered it (somehow).  It was laughably expensive, but they did offer to do it.  IIRC they actually were going to do it as a PRI with 4 voice bearers, the 1 PRI signalling channel, and then the remaining 18 channels for the point-to-point data, so perhaps they were able to do that since it was a "PRI" product (which may have at least partially explained the exorbitant cost).  We ended up just ordering 3 POTS lines and <grumble grumble> for OOB data.
--
Brandon Martin